Carpentry: Wall Systems
This course describes the procedures for laying out and framing walls, including roughing-in door and window openings, constructing corners and partition Ts, bracing walls, and applying sheathing. The module also includes estimating materials required to frame walls. At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
· Identify the components of a wall system.
· Describe the procedure for laying out a wood frame wall, including plates, corner posts, door and window openings, partition Ts, bracing, and fire-stops.
· Describe the correct procedure to assemble, erect, and brace exterior walls for a frame building.
· Describe wall framing techniques used in masonry construction.
· Describe the correct procedure to estimate the materials required to frame walls.
· Identify alternative wall systems.
Course cost includes book and lab materials.
Date: February 21, 26, 28, March 5
Time: 6-9 p.m.
Place: Sussex Tech, Room 413
Cost: $175 for members — $200 for non-members
Instructor: Ed Stough, Sussex Tech Carpentry Department Head